Embodying Rhythm Newsletter
June 20, 2017
It’s a very busy and musical June here at Embodying Rhythm. How inspiring to have Glen and Loire here in the North Fork! David was super excited to be able to take a couple of private lessons with Glen. So far this month, we also visited the 5 Delta County Libraries with our Musical Outreach Ensemble, and The NFV Community and Parade Band shared some funky sounds and puppets in the streets of Crawford as part of the Pioneer Days Parade. Up next, we are presenting marimba concerts (and workshops) June 23 in Fruita, CO and June 24th in Paonia, CO and offering a marimba summer-camp June 26-30th.
One of the exciting things about the upcoming marimba concerts is that the Embodying Rhythm Marimba Project Ensemble has been playing marimba and groove-based music together for a few years and you can hear and feel the evolution of the ensemble in this show. We’re looking forward to sharing it with the community.
The concerts are extra special and personal. Almost every piece we will be playing, we either arranged or composed. We’re thrilled to premiere several new original compositions by David Alderdice as well as continuing our explorations of music from Africa, South America, and the Caribbean. The band includes David Alderdice, Arlyn Alderdice, Jeannette Carey, Daniel B, Matt Drbohlav, Rebecca Drbohlav, Osha Foster, and Jen Sanborn with Eric Baumheier, Tony Peters, Chris Faison and other special guests on Saturday, June 24th.
A Talking Music segment on KVNF is scheduled to air on Thursday 6/22/17 at 6pm mountain time and can be heard worldwide at www.kvnf.org Just click the gray “listen live” button near the top of the page or tune in to 90.9 fm
We hope to see you soon.
Arlyn and David
Featured Marimba Concerts in June:
• Embodying Rhythm Marimba Project Ensemble live in Fruita, CO on Friday, June 23, 2017 7:30 pm. Advance: $10. Door $15. Youth $5. 970-260-5413
• Embodying Rhythm Marimba Project Ensemble live w/ opening set by Banjira in Paonia, CO at the Paradise Theatre on Saturday, June 24, 2017 8:00 pm. tickets online or at the Cirque or Paradse Theatre in Paonia or at North Fork Family Dentistry in Hotchkiss,
Marimba Workshops in June:
- Marimba Ensemble Workshop in Fruita, CO on Friday, June 23, 2017 3:00-5:00pm. $18 adults, $13 youth. Ages 9 through adult.
- Marimba Ensemble Workshop in Paonia, CO on Saturday, June 24, 2017 2:00pm-4:00pm. Ages 9 through adult. Sponsored by The Learning Council
• Marimba Summer-Camp for Continuing Students in Hotchkiss, CO Monday, June 26 – Friday June 30, 2017 10am-1pm and 2:30-5:30pm. $98 for either morning or afternoon session, $172 for full day. Scholarships available. 872-4238 for more information and registration. These summer camps are geared for intermediate marimba players and any musician who would like to deepen their relationship with music by learning to play African inspired marimba ensemble music at a higher level. Participants must have at least some prior music experience. Ages 10 through adult.
Like every other day,
we wake up empty and frightened.
Don’t open the door to the study and begin reading.
Take down a musical instrument.
Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are hundreds of ways to
kneel and kiss the ground.”
- March 31, 2017
- February 23, 2017
- January 9, 2017
- December 8, 2016
- October 31, 2016
- October 7, 2016
- September 5, 2016
- July 25, 2016