Embodying Rhythm Newsletter
March 31, 2017
My apologies for a duplicated or strange first message. Let’s try again.
Hello. we hope this email finds you well. March madness went well and it’s nice to be on the other side of so many activities. Our first local Marimba Residency went great at the Hotchkiss K-8 and we look forward to bringing the program to more schools in the future. For April, we’ll focus on marimba classes, private lessons, rehearsals, practice, playing, and preparing for summer concerts.
Arlyn and David
ps. April 1st & 2nd, The Learning Council is sponsoring another parade puppet-making workshop, so if you missed the first one, you still have a chance to participate in large-scale puppet making. It’s great fun. In the KVNF community room, enter through the alley. 11-4 on Sat and 10-2 on Sun. The puppets will get to go on parade with the NFV Community & Parade Band this summer.
–> UPCOMING EVENTS <–
Weekly Marimba Classes this spring:
- Adult Marimba Ensemble class series with Arlyn Alderdice. Saturdays: April 1, 8, & 15 10:30-12:00pm. Sliding scale $15-45 for the series. Please pre-register 872-4238
- Marimba After-School Ensemble series for youth with David Alderdice. Mondays 3:45-5:00pm for continuing students at the Embodying Rhythm Percussion Studio 2 miles outside of Hotchkiss, location available with registration. A five week series: Mondays April 17th, 24th and May 1st, 8th, 15th. $55. All instruments provided. Scholarships available. 872-4238 for more information and registration.
Marimba Concerts in the Roaring Fork Valley in April:
- 5 Point Film Festival. Carbondale, CO with live marimba music (and puppets!) 11:30am on April 22, 2017. 5pointfilm.org
- Earth Day Celebration at the Glenwood Public Library with live marimba music 2pm-4pm on April 22, 2017. More information: 410-313-5577
Ongoing in the North Fork Valley:
- NFV Community & Parade Band rehearsals continue on Monday Nights at the Hotchkiss High School Band Room 6:30-8:00pm. Bring your instrument. Now is a great time to start coming as the band is starting to work on a new repertoire and starting to think about parade season.
World Music concerts and workshops at the Blue Sage in June:
- World Music – Mythic Rhythm with Glen Velez & Loire in Paonia, CO on Saturday, June 3, 2017 7:30 pm
- World Music – Glen Velez Ancient World of Drumming Workshop in Paonia, CO on Sunday, June 4, 2017 1:00 pm
- World Music – Rhythmic Vocal and Singing Workshop with Loire in Paonia, CO on Sunday, June 4, 2017 3:00 pm
More music in June:
- Members of the Embodying Rhythm Marimba Project Kickoff Delta County’s Summer Reading Program June 6-8, 2017. Check with your library for concert details.
- Pioneer Days Parade in Crawford June 10th, 2017 10am. Enjoy the sounds of the NFV Community & Parade Band and all the other fun entertainment.
Featured Marimba Concerts in June:
- Embodying Rhythm Marimba Project Ensemble live in Fruita, CO on Friday, June 23, 2017 7:30 pm
- Embodying Rhythm Marimba Ensemble live w/ opening set by Banjira in Paonia, CO at the Paradise Theatre on Saturday, June 24, 2017 8:00 pm
- Marimba Summer-Camp for Continuing Students in Hotchkiss, CO on Monday, June 26, 2017 10am-1pm and 2:30-5:30pm. $98 for either morning or afternoon session, $172 for full day. Scholarships available. 872-4238 for more information and registration.
- Marimba Summer-Camp Campout for Continuing Students on Sunday, July 16, 2017 full details soon
The Quiet Power by Tara Mohr
I walked backwards, against time
and that’s where I caught the moon,
singing at me.
I steeped downwards, into my seat
and that’s where I caught freedom,
waiting for me, like a lilac.
I ended thought, and I ended story.
I stopped designing, and arguing, and
sculpting a happy life.
I didn’t die. I didn’t turn to dust.
Instead I chopped vegetables,
and made a calm lake in me
where the water was clear and sourced and still.
And when the ones I loved came to it,
I had something to give them, and
it offered them a soft road out of pain.
I became beloved.
And I came to know that this was it.
The quiet power.
I could give something mighty, lasting,
that stopped the wheel of chaos,
by tending to the river inside,
keeping the water rich and deep,
keeping a bench for you to visit.
- February 23, 2017
- January 9, 2017
- December 8, 2016
- October 31, 2016
- October 7, 2016
- September 5, 2016
- July 25, 2016
- July 9, 2016